Saturday, February 7, 2009

Another Cookoff - Winners Again


Our ward occasionally has Sweetheart Cook-offs. Steve and I have both won at different times in the past, and have even been entertainment for these nights.

Steve decided to enter Terri's Crockpot Lasagna recipe. He did put olives in it, along with a little sausage. It won first place in the main dish category. He won an apron that says, Never trust a skinny cook".

I just thought I'd do something easy that everyone likes so I signed up for appetizers and made won tons. I've even put them in a ward cookbook and have taken them before. I didn't expect to win, in fact, I didn't even want to be in the contest. But I won the appetizer 1st prize and won an apron. If you can't read it on the picture, it says "Many have eaten in this kitchen, few have died" I also won the grand prize overall, and was given a pizza pan, cutter, and some pizza dough mix.

There was a lot of good food served, and our neighbor made a Cheesy Chicken Italiano Dutch oven dish that was to die for! It should have won everything! We think the judges forgot to try it out, because it clearly was wonderful and didn't get any prizes, other than the fact that we'll probably make it at Redfish next year. It was great!
It was a fun night, but I feel guilty winning for won tons. They are just a part of life anymore!

Here are some pictures of the grandbabies! They are much better looking than Steve and I.




8 comments:

Amber said...

Way to go! You guys are great cooks! I love your apron Brenda. We went to visit a sister in our ward the other day and she had that saying in her kitchen. I thought it was pretty funny. Wontons are my all time favorite food at the holiday parties so I can understand why they won.

Deborah Raymond said...

Very fun aprons and beautiful grandbabies!

The Cook Clan said...

I know my Mom and dad always enjoyed going to that. You'll have to put the recipes up on your blog so we can all try them! Very cute kids!

Jason, Liz, and Troy said...

Congrats on your wins. It's always nice to win even if you're not trying--that's how you know it's a super-good recipe. Of course, the pics of Troy and Lola are cute, too.

ronda said...

How fun is that! I think that sounds like a great activity...you should e-mail the details to me so I can pass it along to the ward activities committee!

Terri French said...

Brenda,
I have been so busy that I missed this post...... My goodness, winning the cookoff, having Jason get $10,000, and having the cutest grandkids in the world (I could argue with that, though)......it doesn't get much better than that!!

Sure sounds like a fun ward activity. I love the picture.

Jason, Liz, and Troy said...

I like your new background. Very Spring-y.

Freeman Family said...

Congrats to the winners! We would love to have both recipes to add to the others we always say we are going to try. The won-tons are a true winner, but we need to try the lasagna, too. Cute babies! Lola is adorable. Troy is growing so fast.

What a life!